Monday, February 6, 2012

Self doubt

Many months ago I was talking to another small business owner about the challenges and fears of being a business owner.  One of the topics that kept coming up was a bit of a surprise.  The woman who I was talking with is very self assured, motivated, outspoken and has a wonderful sense of self and motivation.....so I found it interesting when she admitted that fighting self doubt was one of the biggest challenges.  Some days, lets face it, we give into self doubt and just want to give up or just climb back into bed and pull the sheets up over our face.  But from HER?  No way!

It was enlightening!

Being stubborn, persistent and a bit arrogant and crazy are all very important in sustaining the drive to continue...with anything, perhaps.  Some days I know I need more help than others.
This week has been a weird week for me.  While there are some pretty big projects I have been working on  and I feel confident in my ability (including the usual research and trials), I found myself saying to myself "I suck" and "I am not good enough", and "why did they choose me?"  These questions are freaking me out because I don't know what the trip was that got me feeling that way.

My Business Manager hates when I get into these funks.  I think he said something like, "Artistic people are SO needy!"  (It was more of a groan than a true out statement.)

I guess what comes from these doubts and funks is something like motivation.  I mean, it could go both ways, right?  I could succumb to the doubt and just give up, or I can DO something about it...(which thankfully is what happens).  It usually means that I take a good hard look at what I have been doing and what I would like to do...and try to improve.  Make it better.  See things differently.  It means I die or I grow.  That is what I will be doing this week....growing in ability and inspiration.

 I hope you grow in your endeavor this week, whatever they may be...though without any doubt!

No comments:

Post a Comment